Monday, April 12, 2010

Wrestling Life

I was really unsure what to write about this week until just a few minutes ago. I just finished watching the movie "The Wrestler" starring Micky Rourke. The movie tells the story of a former professional wrestler from the 1980's who 30 years after his prime (modern day) is still performing in small venues feeding off the fame from his glory days and trying to make his way back to the top. Since the specifics of the plot are not necessary to this blog post I'll keep from going into it much more.

At the end of the movie I was left with a question, "what do you devote your life to?" In the movie, Micky Rourke's character has devoted his whole life to wrestling and when the question comes up of his retirement he is at a total loss for what to do with himself. Now, I'm not going to say that wrestling is a poor choice of occupation, entertainment, or past time; the minute I do someone else will point out that Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are equally pointless and I just can't take that; but at the same time I feel like there should be something greater to attach yourself to than beating another guy to a pulp for money (or a good light saber battle). To put it bluntly, imagine putting that amount of energy and effort into God's service, to devote yourself so fully to the cause of Christ that if someone were to try and tell you that you could no longer do it you would not know what to do, or you would just do it anyway. I believe that is a truly noble way to spend a life.

Click here to view a trailer of "The Wrestler." Note; it's a nice trailer that will give a clear idea of what the movie is with out telling the whole story.

No comments:

Post a Comment